Registered: November 2003
View User's Gallery
The real slate roof on the red brick church. The original wooden structure built in the 1700's also has its original slate roof.
The monastery was founded in 1790 by four Carmelite nuns. It was the first monastery of religious women in Colonial America. The monastery is still the active home of the discalced Carmelite Nuns of the Carmel of Port Tobacco. The Carmelite life is a call to prayer, tempered with hard work and shared community.