prev
Church Plaque
next

View Larger Image

Church Plaque

It reads:


TRINITY CHURCH
ST. MARY'S PARISH


Built 1642 on Smith's Creek, St. Mary's County; removed to lot near present rectory, St. Mary's City.


In 1695 the Capital was removed from St. Mary's City to Annapolis, and the State House came to be a place of Church of England worship.


In 1720 the General Assembly vested the State House and its grounds in the Rector and Vestry of William and Mary Parish, and it became the Chapel of the Parish until 1829, when it was razed and the bricks used to build the present church nearby, which in 1851 became the Parish Church of the newly created Saint Mary's Parish.


LORD, thou hast been our refuge from one generation to another.


<<
134.jpg 135.jpg DSC_0036.jpg DSC_0038.jpg
>>
Photo Details